• You MUST read the Babiato Rules before making your first post otherwise you may get permanent warning points or a permanent Ban.

Our resources on Babiato Forum are CLEAN and SAFE. So you can use them for development and testing purposes. If your are on Windows and have an antivirus that alerts you about a possible infection: Know it's a false positive because all scripts are double checked by our experts. We advise you to add Babiato to trusted sites/sources or disable your antivirus momentarily while downloading a resource. "Enjoy your presence on Babiato"

Hosting sites on own server (free chatter and suggestions)

haring

Feb 28, 2020
Hi all,

first of all forgive my english, I hope I am clear.

I'd like to chat with you a bit about the software options/choices of setting up a server in the office to host some sites.

We start from the assumption that the best choice is a serious hosting service (for example: siteground, ovh, hostgator, bluehost and so on). Shared hosting, VPS or dedicated server are absolutely the best and most reliable choice from the point of view of speed and security. Having said that, can we try to address the possibility in question?

I came up with a list of pros and cons for both possibilities.

Let's take for example a condition like this:
  • rental of a dedicated server in the farm and purchase of a server for the office, we take correct settings for granted in both cases
  • control panel with web interface, we exclude the command line as the only control method

Server in farm:
  • Pro:
    • connection speed
    • firewall
    • uptime
    • electricity
    • control
    • hardware assistance and intervention
    • multiple IP (paid service)
    • professional control panel (cPanel or Plesk) at discounted prices, normally
    • other?
  • Cons:
    • monthly cost
    • increase in RAM and disk space not always possible
    • other?

Server in office
  • Pro:
    • costs (you buy the server today and it tends to be good for a few years)
    • you can upgrade RAM and HD when you want, when you need
    • free alternative control panel (webmin, cloudpanel, etc)
    • other?
  • Cons:
    • connection speed (I have FTTH, but the upload is not 1Gbit, but at the moment, for example, I have a dedicated in farm down/up 250MBit)
    • connection uptime (it may happen that the connection can go offline due to maintenance, bad weather, etc - out of our control. It can also happen on farms, but it is extremely rare)
    • 1 IP (I don't know if there is a trick to get more, the provider certainly doesn't do it - if you have ideas...)
    • control panel (cPanel or Plesk) at full price
    • other?

Let's try to address the issues point by point.
The pros of the farm that we can trace back to stability and, therefore, uptime - given the necessary considerations - are clear and we will leave aside for the moment.
What remains is, of course, a question regarding costs and benefits.

Let's start with the numbers: costs.
A dedicated server in a 250Mbit farm costs me around €1,500 a year. Includes server, control panel (Plesk) and 4 additional IPs.
The cost of purchasing a refurbished server is more or less similar, maybe a little less. Just the hardware. To this must be added the cost of a serious UPS. And, possibly, the software.

Control panel.
I'm trying out some software.
Virtualmin/Webmin doesn't look bad.
Cloudpanel, seems a bit limited to me.
cPanel and Plesk are great, but a little expensive.

Thanks in advance for any contribution you may wish to make

I add: I took for granted an OS like Ubuntu, CentOS and the like, but if you think an OS like Windows or MacOS could work...

Probably exclude software like MAMP or WAMP or XAMPP and similar due to their lack of flexibility.

The needs are simple for web hosting: php versions by domain, cache support, Apache, Nginx, database (and related additions and updates over time).

The question isn't clear

so you want what?
VPS recomendation
VPS configuration
or what?

For OS
maybe you should try stick to Debian, and Rockylinux in case of "security reason"
or like me to do next level with alpine linux

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

However in order to keep our huge array of resources free of charge we need to generate income from ads so to use the site you will need to turn off your adblocker.

If you'd like to have an ad free experience you can become a Babiato Lover by donating as little as $5 per month. Click on the Donate menu tab for more info.

I've Disabled AdBlock