• You MUST read the Babiato Rules before making your first post otherwise you may get permanent warning points or a permanent Ban.

Our resources on Babiato Forum are CLEAN and SAFE. So you can use them for development and testing purposes. If your are on Windows and have an antivirus that alerts you about a possible infection: Know it's a false positive because all scripts are double checked by our experts. We advise you to add Babiato to trusted sites/sources or disable your antivirus momentarily while downloading a resource. "Enjoy your presence on Babiato"

Can computers connected on a LAN network access a website built on localhost?

dynajay

May 5, 2022
Hello everyone, please I need help.

Is it possible to build a website on a localhost. Let's say for instance, a social network for staff to chat and share files. Everyone's computer is connected to the same LAN network.
Is it possible that I'll host a website in one of the computers and every other person can connect and access that website in their computer?

Yes, it is possible. You can host the website on one of the computers, and every other person on the network can access that website using the host computer's IP address or a designated hostname if you set up DNS on your LAN.

Yes, it is possible. You can host the website on one of the computers, and every other person on the network can access that website using the host computer's IP address or a designated hostname if you set up DNS on your LAN.
Please can you break down how I can implement this?

Hello everyone, please I need help.

Is it possible to build a website on a localhost. Let's say for instance, a social network for staff to chat and share files. Everyone's computer is connected to the same LAN network.
Is it possible that I'll host a website in one of the computers and every other person can connect and access that website in their computer?

Hey, accessing a localhost website from the internet involves setting up port forwarding on your modem, and DNS tweaks. Couple of guides here:

If you can't port forward for any reason, here's another way to do it:

Good luck :D

Hey, accessing a localhost website from the internet involves setting up port forwarding on your modem, and DNS tweaks. Couple of guides here:

If you can't port forward for any reason, here's another way to do it:

Good luck :D
I don't need anybody to access it with Internet. Everything has to be within the office network.

No need to work on DNS.. just access local IP of the server in the web-browser.. and you only need to install xampp on the computer that is going to be the host..

Reactions: dynajay
No need to work on DNS.. just access local IP of the server in the web-browser.. and you only need to install xampp on the computer that is going to be the host..
So, I don't need to install Xampp in the other computers that'll access the site?

So, I don't need to install Xampp in the other computers that'll access the site?
No...xampp is your "hosting" for the website. What you need to do is:
  • First setup a static ip for your xampp pc, otherwise your website's ip will changes everytime that pc is restarted.
  • Install xampp, and your site in the htdocs folder. Keep your sitefiles in one folder, that way you can setup many sites, each in its own folder. So your site url will be like: http://192.168.0.4/sitefolder
  • Somewhere in your site script settings should be a place where you must put in site url, otherwise you sometimes will have access errors
  • Make sure xampp is setup to autostart on boot
  • Done, now anyone on lan can access it, incl cellphones.

No...xampp is your "hosting" for the website. What you need to do is:
  • First setup a static ip for your xampp pc, otherwise your website's ip will changes everytime that pc is restarted.
  • Install xampp, and your site in the htdocs folder. Keep your sitefiles in one folder, that way you can setup many sites, each in its own folder. So your site url will be like: http://192.168.0.4/sitefolder
  • Somewhere in your site script settings should be a place where you must put in site url, otherwise you sometimes will have access errors
  • Make sure xampp is setup to autostart on boot
  • Done, now anyone on lan can access it, incl cellphones.
Thank you.
I'll try this

I'll actually suggest using laragon as you can easily customize your URL to be simple.

You can use something like connect.we and it will open the social networks on all computers connected to that network.

You can also do that on xampp, but you'll need to edit some files to achieve that

Reactions: dynajay
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

However in order to keep our huge array of resources free of charge we need to generate income from ads so to use the site you will need to turn off your adblocker.

If you'd like to have an ad free experience you can become a Babiato Lover by donating as little as $5 per month. Click on the Donate menu tab for more info.

I've Disabled AdBlock